Disclosure: This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Allstate Foundation® and Latina Bloggers Connect. All opinions are my own.
This week, I am combining two topics for my Thrifty Thursday’s post. Originally, I had only planned to post about the ‘Luxe for Less’ Celine Luggage inspired tote that I found at Forever 21, but then, I learned that I was selected to participate in the Purple Purse 2014 campaign. The Allstate Foundation Purple Purse campaign is making it fashionable to talk about the domestic and financial abuse that traps women in abusive relationships. I thought it might be worth combining the two and increase exposure for this very serious topic.
For those of you who are not familiar with the campaign, the Allstate Foundation has been working since 2005 to bring attention to the issue of domestic and financial abuse. This year, they partnered with Kerry Washington (yes of the show, Scandal, and fitting to talk about her today since Scandal premiered tonight!!) to bring even greater awareness to their efforts and raise money for this cause.
They have made quite a splash on social media, using the hashtag #PurplePurse and helped to raise over $800,000 as of this evening!! Part of what they are doing to raise awareness is encouraging women to post pictures of their #PurplePurse style. Add a purple purse to your outfit, or perhaps a #PurplePurse tassel (many thanks to Latina Bloggers Connect and All State for mine!) and post it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!
Receipt of the #PurplePurse tassel coincided with my discovery of the Celine Luggage Inspired tote. Let me tell ya, I put them both to use immediately! I have coveted the Celine Luggage tote for a LONG time now! Long time. Perhaps since I was an egg. Take a look at the beauty that is this bag for yourself:
But I was not about to spend $2800 on a bag! So, of course I was ecstatic when I found this inspired version at Forever 21:
My very own luggage tote! Only $32.90 at Forever 21.
The #PurplePurse tassel is the perfect addition to what has become my favorite work tote! It fits my MacBook Pro, fits over my shoulder, and goes with most any outfit. Take a look at how I have styled the tote so far:
Perfect with a classic office outfit…pencil skirt and button-down top.
Even perfect for travel! Cheers to my luggage and tote!
Finally, channeling Elle Woods of Legally Blonde with my darling Murphy in tow!
Not bad for an inspired bag, right?! Especially to use as a work tote. Adding tassels to bags is currently very on trend, and I have contemplated getting a tassel of my own, but am glad that I now carry one that represents something. One that helps bring awareness to the seriousness that is the domestic and financial abuse of women worldwide.
Visit PurplePurse.com to get more information, and participate in the challenge on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter between now and 10/3/14! Before I conclude this post, I leave you with some facts and statistics to better inform you, and hopefully encourage you to participate in the challenge and/or donate to this very worthy cause. Open your heart and wallet to stand up for domestic and financial abuse victims and those who serve them.
Finally, if you or someone you know needs immediate help, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
Domestic and Financial Abuse Facts and Figures
- Domestic violence affects one in four women in her lifetime – that’s more women than breast cancer, ovarian cancer
and lung cancer combined.
- Most people think only of physical abuse when they consider domestic violence. Yet, financial abuse happens in 98% of all cases of domestic violence and is one of the most powerful ways to keep a victim trapped.
- Domestic violence and financial abuse often go hand-in-hand, but nearly 8 in 10 Americans have not heard much about financial abuse as a form of domestic violence. The number one reason domestic violence survivors stay, leave or return to an abusive relationship is that they don’t have the financial resources to break free.
- Two-thirds of Americans believe that domestic violence is a serious problem, yet just over 1 in 3 have ever talked about it. Allstate Foundation Purple Purse aims to make it fashionable to talk about this difficult topic.
- You can help ensure domestic violence survivors – likely someone you know – aren’t financially trapped in an abusive relationship by joining the Purple Purse Challenge.
- The Allstate Foundation is investing more than half a million dollars in the Purple Purse Challenge. The more donations each nonprofit gets, the more it can compete for Allstate Foundation incentive funding. Go to PurplePurse.com between Sept. 2 and Oct. 3 to join the Challenge and help a nonprofit near you.
- Kerry Washington, Emmy-nominated actress and domestic violence activist, is serving as a Purple Purse ambassador to help raise awareness for the cause and has designed a limited-edition purple purse. The purse was created to represent the center of a woman’s financial domain and to inspire women to reclaim their financial independence.
Until next time! Stay chic!